Bartender requirements in Florida -
Do I Need An ABC License To Be A Bartender In Florida?

Bartending can be a fun and rewarding career, but before you start mixing drinks and serving customers, it's important to know whether you need a license to bartend in the state of Florida.

In short, the answer is yes. According to the Florida Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco, anyone who serves alcoholic beverages in the state must obtain a license, regardless of whether they are a professional bartender or a volunteer at a non-profit event.

The specific type of license you need will depend on the establishment where you work and the type of alcohol you serve. For example, if you work at a restaurant or bar that only serves beer and wine, you will need a Class 2 license, also known as a beer and wine license. If you work at an establishment that serves liquor as well, you will need a Class 1 license, which allows you to serve all types of alcoholic beverages.

To obtain a license, you will need to complete a state-approved training course and pass an exam. The course covers topics such as responsible alcohol service, preventing drunk driving, and identifying fake IDs. Once you pass the exam, you can apply for your license through the Florida Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco.

It's important to note that some cities and counties in Florida have their own additional requirements for bartenders, so be sure to check with your local government for any additional rules and regulations.

In addition to obtaining a license, there are other important skills and qualities you will need to succeed as a bartender in Florida. These include good customer service skills, the ability to multitask and stay organized, and knowledge of different types of alcohol and how to mix drinks. You will also need to be able to handle difficult situations, such as dealing with customers who have had too much to drink or handling disagreements between customers.

In conclusion, Do I Need An ABC License To Be A Bartender In Florida?

Yes… you will need to obtain a license. While this may seem like a lot of work, it's important to remember that responsible alcohol service is crucial for the safety of your customers and the success of your establishment. With the right training, skills, and attitude, you can become a successful and respected bartender in the Sunshine State.

Having a bartending license helps set you apart from many other bartenders applying for the same job position who may not have a license, or safety training.

Anyone who serves Alcohol in California as of July 1, 2022, must possess a current California Responsible Beverage Service (RBS) certification. It implies that more than 50,000 businesses and 1,000,000 bartenders would need to be accredited in the upcoming several months.

We would address any query California bartenders could have below; however, on a top standard, we advise taking this course from Serving Alcohol if you want to become licensed fast and efficiently. You may be sure that the certification and licensure you receive are legitimate since we have been a long-standing supplier of Alcohol serving training in California with more than 35 years of expertise.

To assist our fellow bartenders, we have outlined the processes for obtaining California state certification. Follow these instructions carefully, and you'll soon be certified.

Step 1: Check when you are needed to be certified under Senate Bill 1221.

Step 2: Pick your instructor and buy the training program from them. We advise taking this course from Serving Alcohol.

Step 3: Register here for a profile on the RBS Portal. Remember: Your name, birthdate, location, and other personal details cannot be changed, so enter them accurately the first time.

Step 4: Pay the $3.00 RBS Registration fee at step four. This will also cover your exam costs.

Step 5: Write down your Session ID Number since you'll need it later. Its nine-digit name is "ID Number," and you can find it in the dashboard's "Server Certification Details" box.

Step 6: Select and finish the Server Request form after opening an account.

Step 7: Finish the RBS course with the instructor of your choice. Once more, we advise Serving Alcohol.

Take the exam through the RBS Portal after the training is over. If you use Serving Alcohol as your instructor, the test will instantly open for you. Congratulations. As of right present, you can legally offer alcoholic beverages in California.

Who Must Receive Certification?

Alcohol servers have been defined under California's Assembly Bill 1221 as anybody who:

As per the new legislation, all of the above need licenses.

Additionally, all top management must have a license. Managers and supervisors are anyone who:

What is the RBS Certification's Duration?

The online course can take between 90 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the course and on how fast you go through the questions.

Once you receive your certificate, the RBS accreditation and training are valid for 3 (three) years, after which you must recertify. For instance, the Serving Alcohol course lasts around two hours.

Why does California mandate training?

Studies have indicated that mandatory alcohol waiter certification has reduced the number of accidents involving intoxicated drivers and Alcohol and that binge drinking affects the industry billions of dollars annually, as per the state of California. Therefore, California thinks mandatory training is generally good for servers, customers, and the neighborhood economy.

Another major concern is accountability, as waiters who overserve or serve underage customers frequently find themselves on the wrong side of the law. Both of these frequently take place in the leading content and consumer company. Improve your ability to serve customers. This has been the most crucial talent by a long shot. All other skills may be learned on the job, but the ability to treat patrons respectfully is a must for employment in any good bar.

So basically, check around for employment, and if none are advertised, start frequenting a few places target the hiring managers or bar managers. Present yourself in a professional way, and be prepared with a 'Resume Package'. You should gather all or most of the documents and certifications listed below and have them bound together with a nice cardstock cover and back. Have them bound at Staples or Office Depot. Invest in your resume package and the jobs you will get will easily overcome the cost of doing this.

Your Resume Package Should Have...

  1. A short professional cover letter distinguishing you from all the other job seekers. Why YOU are a better choice.
  2. A good recent resume with a headshot on it.
  3. References 4 - 6 minimum
  4. NEW MANDATED TRAINING For 2022* - Serving Alcohol in California =
  5. ServSafe Food Handlers Certificate =
  6. ServSafe Alcohol Handlers Certificate =
  7. Tips Alcohol Safety Training =
  8. Bartender Training Certificate =

*The only one of these you absolutely NEED here in California is number 4. If you can get by with just the minimum... good for you! But if you want to go into this looking as professional as possible, well the above listing is a great place to set you apart from anyone else walking in that door, looking for work.